Thursday, April 4, 2013

Make Suspenders In Just Ten Minutes

www.peoplestylewatch.com
Suspenders... love them or hate them? I have secretly always wanted to rock a pair of suspenders, but I wasn't sure if I could pull it off. I am still not sure, but I thought these women made it look easy enough. So, I am going to give it a try in my wardrobe. I had plenty of elastic, so all I needed were suspender clips. These were super easy to make and only took me about ten minutes to whip up. It cost me about $4 to make, so the margin of savings wasn't as great as other things I've made. I do like the fact it's much easier to customize when making it (or anything) yourself. I may try to do some tan, red, or leather ones if I end up loving them.


Materials:
  • 1" elastic (How much elastic do you need? Put on a pair of pants that you would use with suspenders. Start your measuring tape halfway between your zipper and your side. Bring the measuring tape over your shoulder to the opposite side, about halfway between the middle of your back and your side. Multiply by 2 and add 4".)
  • (4) 1" suspender clippers

Instructions:

  • Loop 1" of one end of the elastic through the front of the clip and sew it in place with zigzag stitches. Both sides of elastic look about the same, but one side is slightly flatter than the other. I let the flatter side face out. The difference is almost microscopic though. :)
  • Clip the elastic to the back your pants and bring the rest of the elastic to the front. Position and pull taut but not too tight. Mark where the elastic meets the top of your pants.
  • Unclip the strap and cut the first strap 1" below the marked line. Sew the second clip on the other end in the same fashion as the first. The front of both clips should face the same direction.
  • Cut the second strap to match the length of the first. Be sure to accommodate for the 1" loop on each end.




  • Once all clips are sewn, try the clips on. Carefully pin or mark the cross section in the back.
  • Sew a diamond shape in this cross section. Alternatively, you could leave this unsewn and use a decorative pin to hold the straps together. (I would have done this, but I didn't have any on hand. I can take my stitches out and pin at a later time.)

DONE!

Pin It Now!